Tip of the week: Encourage More Use of English in Classroom
Getting students to use English in the classroom is one of the biggest challenges.
We could motivate them use English by doing following these steps:
- Always present yourself as an English speaker.
- Don’t be tempted tu use students’ language to be more effective at teaching.
- If you are not able to get across “just with English”, use pictures, gesture, facial expression and rephrasing to get your message across.
- Assign various role play activities to them and they will enjoy it “more” 🙂
Also we can encourage them to use English by
- Starting each lesson by asking students about their week, weekend or previous evening.
- Asking for explanations in English
- Avoiding asking “Do you understand?”
- Playing games where use of the mother tongue loses points for the team.